Monday, August 5, 2013

August 5, 2013 - I'M IN KOREA AND SPEAKING KOREAN! IN ALL CAPS!



August 5, 2013

BEST BEST BEST BEST place :) I can't believe I've only been here for a week.
It was a great flight! I made some great friends on the plane (like, talking for 2.5 hours straight with a high school student who is GREAT - I love happy, friendly people, an American elementary school teacher, and a Korean lady). And I was super jet lagged.   (AH! I don't know how to send pictures right now. I'm in some weird sort of public computer place - lots and lots of gamers here. It's school break in Korea. ) As you can tell, I was going to send a picture of the airport there. AAWESAH! hehehe :) The first night, we stayed in the temple - something I probably won’t get to do again. And we met some sisters from Busan going home; they told us about Korea, missions, etc. The next day we went and 전도ed  (proselyted) for a little bit - and gave away a Book of Mormon! I was companions with Sister A (actually,  when you put this on the blog, you should maybe change names - I've heard that's a good idea.) who is a native Korean, but it was GREAT because I could actually understand most of what was going on, and talked as well! Not like, well, but also :) I'm actually VERY happy with how much Korean I can speak right now. I'm nowhere near fluent, but I can say and understand WAY more than I dared hope for. It's a crazy blessing that, after 2 months of studying in a classroom, for not even the whole day, I can say and understand so much. I've started up conversations with all kinds of people! And like I said most of them are great. There have been like, 3 who pretend you don't exist, but I consider that nothing compared to all the nice people! That’s only, like, 3 percent :)

My companion is Sister Gardiner, who is WONDERFUL! She's on her second to last transfer and is the best - super supportive, and helpful with Korean - she speaks really well and picks up the conversations I start when I don't understand what they're saying anymore :) My mission president and his wife are awesome. I haven't gotten to know them super well yet - there were 30 of us that came to Seoul, so there isn't a whole lot of time, but it's okay! There's time for that later! And he says “hello” to the Webb’s, so pass that on :) The food is great! Different, but great. And there's actually quite a bit of American food around, if I so fancy -- like COSTCO. I thought you'd appreciate that, Mom :) I have a great companion, great area, great investigators, great ward, and a Costco! Can life get any better? I submit that it canNOT! ^^(that's my attempt at Korean typing/texting ㅎㅎㅎ (a sort of hehehe in Korean ^^))

My apartment is pretty decently sized, for what I generally hear of Korean apartments (I've only been in 1 so far) - and has 6 sisters living in it :) kind of cramped, but I actually really enjoy being around/getting to know more people :)

I think things are generally pretty cheap - I've only bought food so far, and a couple language books, but clothes (from what I've seen - people are selling stuff all over the place, it's kind of like a reeeeeally big street fair, in a way) look like they’re pretty cheap! But shopping later, we have work to do!

We have seen so many miracles! I’ve only been here a week! One: that I can say/understand so much. A long way to go, but it's amazing. And I really couldn't ask for a better ward, companion, etc. (Previously listed in a non-exhaustive list). And I've started talking to a bunch a super friendly people, and quite a few who are interested - whether it be about the gospel, or about how our church is different, or just why I'm learning Korean/here in Korea - it's so FUN to tell people that I've only been here for a few days! hehe, and they always tell you how good your Korean is.) And we had one lady come up to us on the subway, and we (Sister Gardiner, mostly) talked with her for a long time - she asked questions we hope people ask - how is your church different, about commandments, why there are so many churches, eternal family, etc. :) It really was a miracle. And I've run into so many people who speak English, and who not only speak, but who want to talk to us, as people and a little about religion.) And then I've met one of our investigators, who is great. She came to church this week (in time to see me 인사 - introduce myself at the ward - quite the adventure, more about the ward later) - in a SKIRT! haha, Sister Gardiner was so happy about that, I guess she's come plenty in pants, which is great, but she wanted to wear a skirt this time! hehehe :) And a less active member came to church as well - (I'm not sure how much to use names, and I'm awful at remembering them anyway).  She's a middle school student, who's pretty good at English (everybody here learns, but some are definitely better than others) and we talked for a good 45 minutes after church :) Mostly getting to know her, which then reverted into helping me with Korean :) She's so great!

The Ward is wonderful too. Great bishop, Great friendly people - I don't think there was a single person who didn't come up to me after Relief Society. I gave a short testimony in Relief Society, a prayer in gospel doctrine, and an introduction in sacrament meeting. WOOT! And a lot of the older women were helping me as I was speaking in front of the congregation, finishing my sentences and everything :) hehe. They're wonderful! And I guess we have a meal after church every week, but we didn't this week, since it's Fast Sunday, but I'm excited!

Whew. Just a couple adventures. I understand now why people's emails are so long. Sorry to make you read it all. BUT! There's so much to say! hehehehe I LOVE KOREA! AND KOREANS! AND BEING A MISSIONARY! Lots to learn, lots to do! YEAH!
I hope I answered all of your questions too! If I didn't let me know! You know how I like talking, especially when I'm ridiculously happy!
LOVE! 사랑해요!
Sister Thomas
토마스 자매

No comments:

Post a Comment