Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16, 2013 - Hey all!

June 16, 2013

Hey all! Time for the weekly update at the MTC.
Big news #1: I had been kind of down on Saturday - I mean, we're learning all this cool stuff to help others and such, but I don't know, I feel awful dragging my companions around and such to go an meet other people, we sort of have an investigator, role-play an all, but it's not the same. All I was going to be able to concentrate on for 9 weeks was myself (to a point, anyway.)? Bleh. That's not why I came out here. And like I mentioned about the character of Christ talk last week, I had been praying for opportunities to turn outward. So we have Sister Training Leaders here now, who are sort of Zone-Leader-esque for the Sisters, who mostly check up and interview etc. And guess what! Answered prayers! I'll be a Sister Training leader til we leave here. I'm still trying to figure out the ropes - I'm not exactly sure I know what to do other than interview (check in on how their doing, try to help) and say good night and show around the new ones when they come (I'm sure there's a lot more than that) so there's still a big learning curve, but I'm quite excited! I'll be working with Sister Florence, who is also 20 and went to the U, and she may actually be moving into our room when the older group leaves the MTC (They go to Korea on Monday! People actually leave this place! It's hard to fathom - I've chosen to just ignore time for a little while.) Also, I gave the closing prayer in sacrament meeting last Sunday. Not too scary! And the crazy amazing thing is how much better prayers have gotten since then. They've gone from sunbeam to older primary child, in that I can say some stuff without thinking too hard :)
Also, I'm sickly. *cough cough*. And have been for a while. Between that, exhaustion (we work hard!) and some stress, it's been pretty taxing on my energy stores, but we're pushing through. Hmm.
Korean is still exciting! It makes so much sense; it's just very different. Words are staying in my head better. I keep explaining this process like building a building: I understand the blueprints and how things are supposed to go together, and I'm getting some building materials and blocks, but I can't do it very quickly yet. It still takes a while to put everything together and make sure it's right, but at this point, repetition and usage should help. Sometimes I feel like I'm not learning fast enough, but then I remember that we only learned the alphabet 2 weeks ago, and we're teaching people in Korean now. Thank you, gift of tongues.
We have two teachers here, and one is abandoning us. Sad day. I guess they're both among the ranks of the most senior and the boss decided that it wasn't too fair. So! New teacher. It's too bad; I really like both of our teachers in different ways, but I'm sure the new one will be great, too!
The district is fantastic. Asah! (Like "awesome", but what they say in Korea :) )They're so fun, which is super nice - I don't know that I could spend the hours a day for 9 weeks with dead weights. We, uh, they, like to play volleyball during gym time, so I'm playing volleyball. Shocker, huh. But the amount I like my district outweighs how much I dislike volleyball - that and I have to follow around my companions, and I don't like working out much anyway, so I don't care what we do.
Hmm. That is all I can think of for now. I'm sorry I'm totally out of it. If I'm going to be honest, a lot of things are wearing on me. They're not really awful or anything, and I can roll with it, but I'm sick, tired, stressed, and trying to find a place here. I know this is the place to be and I wouldn't rather be anywhere else, but it is a totally new environment and I haven't totally figures it out yet. I don't ever like getting in people's ways, so I kind of just follow around my companions, which I'm not a particular fan of. I could just speak up, but I don't really have an opinion, and don't want to get in the way of their settling in. Huff. I don't know how to lose myself in the work, but still take care of myself. Sorry you have to hear about me being dumb, but this is really the only time I have during the week to think. I promise that a lot of great things are happening - Korean is a blessing everyday, and I'm quite excited about the potential of the Sister Training leader thing, and if we would take time to email after we go to the temple today, this email would probably be totally different. I am SO thankful for the temple and the blessings and comfort that it brings. An you know, having some time to think it out is great. It helps me see where I need strengthening and what to pray for. So thanks for listening. :)
Another thing: Devotionals/Sunday movies! I LOVE all of those here. We heard from Sister and Elder Arnold this past Tuesday in the Marriot Center - They're another couple on my "I want to be like them when I grow up". I;m trying to figure out what factors make them the kind of people that are on that list, and I think that what I'm starting to see is that they have a clear view of the character and power of God, and a clear view of the divine nature of God's children and love and view and treat them as such. That On'e major thing I got from his talk. Powerful testimony. Also, Elder Bednar again (Sunday movie) about recognizing the spirit. He told the story about the 20 pound note, President Packer, and East Germany. Don't worry about if it's a prompting or not. Be a good boy, a good girl; keep the commandments, honor covenants, and the Spirit will guide you, often without you knowing it. HUGE testimony of that, especially in mission prep and the 2 weeks here.
Fun things! So you know how I was talking about how I was going to draw my friend a unicorn but didn't know when or how? Yup. Even though he works on West campus, I saw him and drew him one real quick. Even miracles for dumb stuff that doesn't matter :) Also, in Korea, I guess there was this rumor on the news one time about the "fan death", how if you closed the door an turned the fan on, you'd suffocate. It's the source of many of our jokes nowadays. Hehe :)
I'm running low on time and need to check your other emails to make sure I haven't missed anything, so I bid farewell to you all!
Love!
Sister Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment